Tips to Avoid Frozen and Burst Pipes
Below are a few tips to help you prevent frozen pipes in your home:
- Occasionally allow a slow trickle of water to run from your kitchen and bathroom faucets if the temperature really plummets. This will keep water moving through the pipes and make the pipes less likely to freeze.
- Set your thermostat to a consistent temperature. A cold snap is not the time to dial the heat back to save on energy costs.
- Open kitchen and vanity cabinet doors to allow warm air to circulate around the plumbing.
- If you’re leaving your home for more than 24 hours during a cold snap, consider asking a friend or relative to check in on your home to make sure everything is OK.
- In the fall, once the temperatures outside start to go down, it's a good idea to disconnect your garden hose from the exterior faucet and to turn off the water going to that exterior faucet.