Home Heating Safety: Fireplaces & Wood Stoves
Winter is here and along with snow and ice, it means heating season for us New Englanders. There are many options but whatever your method for heating your home you should always aim to heat safely. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, heating is the second leading cause of fires in homes. Today we will look at safely heating with a Fireplace or Wood Stove Here are a few points to consider:
- Be sure to have your chimney inspected and cleaned each year by a professional.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away.
- Do not burn paper in your fireplace or wood stove.
- Always put the fire out before going to sleep or leaving the home.
- Ashes should be put in a metal container that has a lid. Additionally, place the container outside and away from the building no less than 10 feet.
Follow these steps to be sure you safely heating your home with a wood stove or fireplace. At SERVPRO of Windham & Windsor Counties, we're always here to help!