SERVPRO of Windham & Windsor Counties performing a cleanup project at a local educational facility.
At SERVPRO of Windham & Windsor Counties, we understand the importance of a continuous, uninterrupted class schedule. Even in the event of an untimely disaster, school cancellation should be a minimal concern for an educational facility. SERVPRO professionals are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to assist with fire and water cleanup and restoration for all types of schools. From Kindergarten, to elementary schools, middle and high schools, colleges and universities, dormitories, libraries, day cares, and event or sporting arenas, SERVPRO has them covered. Here's what sets SERVPRO apart from other emergency restoration companies:
- Around the clock availability
- Timely response and assessment of damage
- Proven track record of quality service with other educational facilities
- Clear, concise communication with school officials
- Industry leading equipment and technology
- Industry trained and certified technicians
- Mindfulness of legal and environmental concerns
- Isolate damaged areas from unaffected areas of the facility
- Ability to limit class and schedule interruption
- Confirmation of client satisfaction at time of job completion
Whatever the situation, SERVPRO of Windham & Windsor Counties is here to ensure the main objective of the school staff is to provide valuable lessons and information to its students, and cleanup & restoration can be left to the pros.
Untreated Water Damage at Your Home or Business
A ceiling being torn down after water leaked from above.
When accessing water damage, an important thing to remember is that a small leak that may appear minor can actually lead to a large scale mold issue. There are many things to consider when deciding if water damage is worth the money to repair such as; corroding pipes, a decrease in the value of your home, damaged ceilings, damaged flooring, and many more issues. It may seem like a quick fix to paint over a water spot on your ceiling or wall, but molds could be growing in the dry wall underneath which can cause health effects. Electrical shorts are another side effect of unattended water damage which can be a huge fire hazard. When it comes to your flooring, wood is very absorbent so the longer the water sits, the worse the wood will get resulting in a much more expensive fix. This goes for carpets too as carpets can actually begin to break down the longer they are left wet. The safest and most cost efficient thing to do when you realize you have water damage is to get it fixed as soon as possible.
Here are some helpful SERVPRO tips on what to do after flooding occurs:
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
Proactive Cleaning & Disinfecting
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a cleaning and disinfecting program that SERVPRO offers to commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This pandemic has changed what it means to be clean and being open for business is just the beginning of everyone’s new journey forward. Employees may be hesitant to return to work, and customers may wonder whether the businesses they visit are safe. If a building or structure is sanitized and disinfected as part of the CSC program, a window decal shield will be left there, as well as a separate window decal which should be dated by the franchise to let everyone know when it was last sanitized and disinfected. This can be scheduled as a one time or recurring service. This is a level of clean that goes way beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning, it is proactive viral pathogen cleaning. Beyond fire and water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in bio hazard decontamination. When businesses choose SERVPRO, their employees, customers, and community can rest assured that they have selected a “higher standard of clean.”
Preparing for Heavy Rain
Heavy rain storms can cause serious damage to your property, be prepared!
When a heavy rainstorm is on the horizon, the first thing to do is to check the outside of your home and make sure it is protected. Start by inspecting your roof for any areas that may be missing shingles, or aging/sagging. Clogged gutters can cause issues if they overflow, so check to see if your gutters are fully intact and clear them of any leaves or debris that may be piled up. While walking around your house, check to see that all windows and doors are closed, and that all lawn equipment is stored inside. Once the storm hits, plan on staying inside and avoid driving anywhere unless completely necessary. While checking weather reports, be sure to stay away from windows and doors as they can break or blow in if the wind is strong enough. Once the storm has passed, you should survey your property to check for any damage from fallen branches or to see if any power lines. It is very important to not touch any power lines that are down, and call professionals to repair it.
Helpful Tips During Severe Wind
Palm trees during a severe wind storm.
Preparedness is a very important when it comes to protecting your family & property from any severe weather or storm. Winds can reach up to more than 100 miles per hour during severe weather such as a tornado, but a high wind advisory is issued when winds of over 25 miles per hour are predicted. The first thing you will want to do during severe winds is find shelter and move towards the middle of your home or the basement if that is an option. Try to avoid being near any windows or glass doors, and bring belongings such as a grill, garbage cans, and patio furniture inside as these are wind-borne objects that could cause more damage to your home. Severe wind can happen anywhere, regardless of where you live so being informed on how to be prepared is important.
In the case of an evacuation, go to the nearest shelter if possible and follow these helpful tips:
- Lock all doors and windows at your home before you go.
- Bring a survival kit and other supplies such as food & water.
- Let family & friends know where you plan to be.
- If there is no time to get to a shelter, stay in the middle of your home or basement, away from windows, and try to take cover.
Why set up an ERP?
SERVPRO ERP, are you ready?
With SERVPRO’s Emergency READY Profile (ERP), you will feel confident that you are “Ready for whatever happens.” The ERP allows you & your business to have an immediate plan of action ready to go in case of an emergency. It contains all of the important information regarding your business including emergency contacts, shut-off valve locations, and priority areas. By setting up an ERP, you can minimize business interruption by knowing what to do and what to expect in advance, which can help reduce how water and fire damage can affect your business. The best part is this document will only take a little time to complete but will save a lot of time if ever needed!
- A no cost assessment of your facility.
This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are "Ready for whatever happens."
The Importance of Deodorization
A SERVPRO technician sprays a smoke sealant after cleaning & deodorizing a home after fire damage.
In your home or business, fire, smoke, or even soot damage can leave you with unpleasant and potentially permanent problems. Smoke produced during a fire can travel throughout the structure leaving deposits and even odors on various surfaces & hard-to-reach areas. It is crucial that professional action is taken quickly as these residues can cause permanent damage. At SERVPRO, our technicians are certified by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration, and can rid your home or business of the odors left by fire or smoke damage. Instead of covering up the odors, technicians use SERVPRO’s own line of cleaning products to remove the source and prevent the odor from returning. Odor from fire damage is not the only stubborn odor that SERVPRO can take care of, water and mold damage can also cause permanent problems if not addressed properly.
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
The Dangers of Hoarding
A living room that is completely filled with miscellaneous items as a result of hoarding.
Each hoarding case that SERVPRO deals with is very different. SERVPRO is usually called to a fire damage or water loss job, only to realize it is also a hoarding situation. Once approval is granted by the insurance company, SERVPRO professionals can pack the contents and possibly clean, dry or store them so they can begin work on the fire or water loss. Another way that a SERVPRO franchise may find themselves at a hoarding job is through a landlord, a case works, real estate agents, or family members often after the death of a loved one. Many people with a hoarding disorder do not think that their way of living is a problem, they typically hoard items that others would think of as trash or junk. Years of clutter and accumulation can result in unsanitary living conditions, sometimes resulting in bugs, fleas, and even rats. No matter how severe the hoarding case, SERVPRO will leave it “Like is never even happened.”
Did you know that floods are one of the most common and widespread natural disasters in the United States? Even if your home is in a moderate-to-low risk flood zone, there is always a potential for a flood to occur. In fact, approximately 20% of all flood insurance claims come from moderate-to-low risk areas. Knowing what to do in the event of a flood can help keep you and your loved ones safe. Below are important safety tips from the American Red Cross:
- Stay away from floodwaters. It can be easy to underestimate the power of running water. Just 6 inches of quickly moving water is enough to potentially sweep you off your feet. If running water is up over your ankles, turn around and find another way.
- Rapidly moving water can also push heavy objects such as cars. Many vehicles can be overcome by the current from waters less than 2 feet deep! Travel should be avoided if possible during a flood but if you do travel and come to a road that appears to be flooded, turn around and choose a safer route. If you are stuck on a flooded road and the water is rising, leaving the car for higher ground and shelter is advised.
- Do not let your children out of your sight during a flood. Kids tend to be curious and may not understand how dangerous contaminated or running water can be.
- Having an emergency safety kit is helpful in a situation such as a flood. Follow the link below for our quick video on how to build your own emergency flood kit!
Emergency Flood Kit
If your home or business experiences any kind of water damage, call us anytime at (802) 674-8004. We are available 24/7 to help with emergency restoration services.
Proactive Cleaning & Disinfecting
SERVPRO is equipped with hospital grade disinfectants & qualified technicians to handle your proactive cleaning needs.
SERVPRO of Windham & Windsor Counties is Here to Help during this time of need
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of Coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the Coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the Coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.